By Sarah Mitchell, corps member serving at King Middle School
A little over a year ago, I found out about City Year and started my application. So much has changed since then, reflection of my journey is hard to fathom.
City Year is not always easy, but it is always rewarding.
It is time for you to apply for your City Year journey.
Many people might question why someone, who is just out of high school or college, would spend their year volunteering. This is not a selfish question. You and your parents are probably wondering why you would take a year without pay, when you just spent a fortune on college.
However, there are some things you may not have known about City Year that will put you at ease when you decide to dedicate a year of your life to changing the world.
10 Practical Reasons Why You Should Join City Year
1) You get a living stipend. No, this is not a salary. Yes! It is enough to pay for your rent, utilities, and other expenses through the year.
2) Upon graduation you qualify for “give a year” partnerships, the $5,550 AmeriCorps Segal Education Award, as well as any institutional matches of the award. A give a year partnership can mean as much as full ride for some graduate school tuition. A Segal Award match means you are starting school with $11,000 of education award.
3) You qualify for food stamps when you are working for AmeriCorps and social services have a specific amount of food stamps allotted for AmeriCorps members. For many in the corps, that covers $200 worth of food per month.
4) You get a free bus pass. Relying solely on public transportation is very doable and a true learning experience. Also you do not have to incur the cost of gas for ten months.
5) You will never need to buy clothes, because those fresh khaki pants are provided for you.
6) Got college loans? When you are an AmeriCorps member you qualify for loan forbearance, putting those worries on hold for ten months, interest free.
7) City Year has an amazing alumni network. The more than 15,000 alumni are seeking out City Year idealists for work, to promote them into their next job.
8) You get to rock Timberland boots all day, every day (for free)!
9) You get to work under a truly amazing, positive and inspiring staff!
10) You will become a morning person!
The next application deadline for the City Year 2012-2013 corps is November 15, 2011!
It is rapidly approaching, but you can do it. The application is simple and just asks about your experiences – no resumes or transcripts required. Get started here.
It was a high council that I once heard given to a young person, ‘Always do what you are afraid to do.’
- Ralph Waldo Emerson